Working my thoughts out into (hopefully) coherent sentences.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

When civilians attack

Recently the police here have really cracked down on microbuses. Microbuses are vans that run routes throughout the city for the purpose of public transportation. We also have a city bus system, but the microbuses fill in some gaps left by the bus system and are a cheaper way to travel short distances. Usually at a bus stop you will see one or two buses at a time, along with 5 or 6 microbuses. Now that the police are cracking down, you see microbuses at the bus stop only when there are no policemen around.

Yesterday as I was approaching our bus stop to board a microbus for a ride to school, I saw the microbuses scattering like roaches after a light has been turned on. Sure enough, a police car pulled up to the bus stop and parked there. The policemen were sitting in the car, yelling at the microbus drivers through a bullhorn. Every time a micro would pull up to the stop and stop to let someone out, the policemen would begin yelling at them and they would quickly drive away. I watched this for a few minutes, expecting the policemen to move on to another stop, but they just stayed there. I was seriously considering knocking on their window and asking them to give me a ride to school since they were scaring away all the micros. It pains me to say this, but FORTUNATELY there was a car accident just down the road and the yelling policeman had to go help out with that while the other one stayed with the police car. The micros began stopping again and I finally was able to get my ride to school without getting arrested for harassing police officers.

No comments:

Stat Counter

Followers